Advertisements
Latest Trolley Dolly News

Ever since I created Confessions of a Trolley Dolly I have wanted to show the world that Cabin Crew are more than just the boys and girls in the glamorous uniforms, who serve you tea and coffee, stow your luggage, serve you meals, sell scratch cards and wave our arms about doing the safety demonstration.

We are there for your safety. We are the most important safety feature onboard any aircraft.

1-safety-equip-ccI started the ‘Angels of the Sky’ section of confessionsofatrolleydolly.com to look at our cabin crew heroes; heroes such as Uli Derickson, Jan BrownAli Osman, Ruth Carol TaylorBarbara Jane Harrison and Iris Peterson, crew who have not only saved the lives of countless passengers, but have also changed the face of the aviation industry.

On July 24, 2014 cabin crew around the world wore a small black ribbon on their uniform as a mark of respect for their fallen colleagues, following a series of tragic air disasters. Since then I have been pushing the idea of setting up a yearly memorial day for our fallen aviation brothers and sisters. We may wear different uniforms, but we are united in grief when accidents occur.

I now want to make July 24 our ‘Angels of the Sky Memorial Day’, an annual, world-wide event where crew wear a small black ribbon on their uniforms to remember all those we have lost over the years.

140724210600-black-ribbons-collage-flight-attendants-horizontal-gallery

To do this I need your help and support by spreading the word between your colleagues and speaking to your airline management.

Some people have discussed creating a charity to support those left behind. This is a suggestion I would love to develop and would be interested in hearing any ideas which can either be left in the comments section below, or simply drop me an email confessionsofatrolleydolly@hotmail.co.uk

I really do think it would be fitting for us to annually commemorate the lives of members of our aviation family who went to work one day and never returned.

Once again I ask you all, if possible, to share this post with all of your aviation colleagues and friends to make our ‘Angels Of The Sky Memorial Day’ a success.

Thank you in advance.

“Flight attendants don’t die, they just fly higher”

In-Love-With-Aviation

Tips On How To Make Your Ribbons –

You will need –

1. Black ribbon.
  2. Scissors.
  3. Super glue or fabric glue.
  4. Safety pins.

Simply cut yourself a piece of black ribbon (approximately 15cm) fold it in to the ribbon shape, dab a small piece of glue to hold it together, add your safety pin and Voilà, your Angels of the Sky Memorial Day ribbon to add to your uniform on July 24.

© confessionsofatrolleydolly.com by Dan Air.

Advertisements
About Confessions of a Trolley Dolly (61 Articles)
confessionsofatrolleydolly.com brought to you by International Gay Trolley Dolly, Dan Air ! Come & join us onboard as we take a peek behind the galley curtain with all your cabin crew & aviation news, galley gossip, glamour & humerous tales of life at 39,000 feet!

12 Comments on Angels of the Sky Memorial Day – A yearly memorial to our fallen Cabin Crew colleagues.

1. Kas Adam // 30/07/2014 at 1:32 PM // Reply

Indeed, this profession is so not recognised around the world, trolleydollies and pilots are considered as high flying party maniacs, no consideration to what we actually do! Too much glamour is associated to the industry that people that we are just in the job for the glamour!!! we are paid fortunes???? There has not been enough on Television or cinema to say differently. Most people associate us with food and wine, not with safety, medical emergencies, brains, so many of us hold university degrees as well as being doctors. But there again I write this, I speak of this, we all know this yet here we are.
    Angels of the sky is one of the finest tributes I have heard of, a great idea. We have mother’s day, father’s day, independence day, secretary’s day, hello why not something as poignant as Angels of the sky? I often think of my fallen comrades of the Helderberg, SAA of November 1987. That’s just mine, we all have been touched by these incidents, have known someone, now we are given an opportunity to pay our respects to them. How wonderful!!!

• Who on earth associates being an air hostess with glamour? I’ve never heard that, only underpaid, overworked and stress from the customers :/

2. Dear Anon, I believe this is a great idea to propose an International Flight Attendant day, although if we are thinking Including our flight crew as well it should be a day that will commemorate both and the passengers. Probably there is an international civil aviation day, or there is a saint that identifies what we really would like to commemorate.
    My heart to yours.

3. Heathher Axson // 30/07/2014 at 11:37 PM // Reply

I thoroughly admire all cabin crew who keep flying after all there disasters, you are amazing and strong and go unappreciated for all you do. Keep strong, keep doing the work you do, you are appreciated! 😀 xx

4. Jonathan Moremi // 02/08/2014 at 5:06 PM // Reply

It’s the first time I ever read about anyone in the industry publicly speaking about those who perished while working in the sky. Usually this is not touched upon because flying for many is associated with fear anyway, so why remember them that you can lose your life by choosing to fly? Rather pretend, all is well. Then again – why pretend? In 2013 more than 3,3 billion passengers took to the sky but only 212 worldwide died in accidents. Try work that out percentage wise. It’ll crack your 0 key for good. – Still, the airline industry relies on people flying. And for that reason, as commendable your approach is, I have my doubts the CEOs (who for natural reasons are revenue not cabin/cockpit minded) will be happy if you wear black ribbons to your uniform as this can easily enhance the uneasiness many still feel when boarding a plane. Motto: Let’s not remind them something could go wrong.
    The wish to commemorate however is both respectable and legitimate. Whether in the cabin in the eyes of CEOs and passengers remains to be seen. I can only wish you luck on this. By all means though you should not give it the hard try you intend to make. But if it won’t come true in the cabin, don’t stop on making it happen on your blog. That CNN took the story up the other day shows, it’s not done in vain. Bravo.

5. adam kenworthy // 30/12/2014 at 10:26 PM // Reply

Could you kindly provide a list of those airlines you have contacted and had a response.
    God bless our angels of the sky

6. Sue Gascoyne // 30/12/2014 at 10:42 PM // Reply

With regard to fundraising – whenever I have travelled there has always been a request for loose change, foreign coins, etc. to be left for various charities. Could this money, on the one day in the year that you remember the Angels Of The Sky,be utilised for the type of charity you wish to start. Just a thought.

7. joe norman // 26/03/2015 at 5:13 PM // Reply

May god blessed all of us and remember “gone but not fogotton”

8. Tina Donaldson // 26/03/2015 at 6:28 PM // Reply

While I wholeheartedly support this day as necessary, December 7th is already recognized in the United States as Pearl Harbor Day and is dedicated to the memory of those 2,403 men who died December 7, 1941.

9. Stephanie // 26/03/2015 at 8:46 PM // Reply

Hi Anon!
    Very good idea!!!
    I will just add something to consider, I’m not sure Swiftair flight AH5017 crashed due to bad weather? I think it was shot down just as the Malaysia only that this time they managed to covered it up.
    Regards

10. tim marchmont // 27/03/2015 at 12:42 AM // Reply

Having flight attendants walking around the cabin reminding passengers that aeroplanes sometimes crash and everyone gets killed is perhaps not a good idea.

11. Kathryn Smith // 28/10/2015 at 5:48 PM // Reply

Brilliant idea I don’t think people realise what cabin crew have to do.